Assistant Teaching Professor Leila Keyvani Someh and Associate Professor Mehrdad Sasani won the 2016 Clemens Herschel Award from the Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section of the American Society...
You are here
- PhD, Structural Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, 2001
- MS, Structural Engineering, Tehran Polytechnic, 1987
- BS, Civil Engineering, Tehran Polytechnic, 1985
- Professional Engineer: Massachusetts and California
- 2016 BSCES/ASCE Clemens Herschel outstanding paper award
- 2015 Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2015 Fellow of Structural Engineering Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2006 CAREER Development Award, National Science Foundation
- ASCE Infrastructure Resilience Division (IRD): Risk and Resilience Measurements Committee (RRMC)
- ASCE/SEI-41: Seismic Retrofit of Existing Buildings Standards, Codes and Standards Division
- ASCE/SEI: Disproportionate Collapse Mitigation of Building Structures, Codes and Standards Division
- ACI-377 (Chair): Performance-Based Structural Integrity & Resilience of Concrete Structures
- ACI-374: Performance-Based Design of Concrete Buildings
- MEAER (Chair), Massachusetts Engineers and Architects Emergency Response committee, http://MEAER.org
- Editorial Board Member (Associate Editor) of Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE
- SEI Boston Chapter of BSCES, Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
- International Joint Committee on Structural Safety
- MBTA Certification Committee for concrete licensing program.
- Structural Engineering Institute
- J.A. Murray, M. Sasani, “Seismic Hybrid Simulation of a Nonductile RC Building with Severe Damage to Multiple Columns,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 46, 2017, 733–752.
- J.A. Murray, M. Sasani, “Collapse Resistance of a 7-Story Structure With Multiple Shear-Axial Column Failures Using Hybrid Simulation,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 04017012, 143(5), 2017, 1-13.
- C. Wan, C. Audi, M. Sasani, “Modeling Floor Systems for Collapse Analysis,” Engineering Structures, 127, 2016, 278–286.
- J.A. Murray, M. Sasani, “Near-collapse Response of Existing RC Building under Severe Pulse Type Ground Motion using Hybrid Simulation, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 45(7), 2016,1109–1127
- L. Keyvani, M. Sasani, “Analytical and Experimental Evaluation of Progressive Collapse Resistance of a Flat-slab Posttensioned Parking Garage,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 141(11), 2015, 1-8.
- S. Sagiroglu, M. Sasani, “Progressive Collapse Resisting Mechanisms of Reinforced Concrete Structures and Effects of Initial Damage Locations,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 140(3), 2014, 1-12.
- L., Keyvani, M., Sasani, Y., Mirzaei, “Compressive Membrane Action in Progressive Collapse Resistance of RC Flat Plates, Engineering Structures, 59, 2014, 554–564.
- M. Sasani, S. Sagiroglu, “Gravity Load Redistribution and Progressive Collapse Resistance of a 20-story RC Structure Following Loss of an Interior Column,” Structural Journal, ACI, 107(6), 2010, 636-644.
- M. Sasani, S. Sagiroglu, “Progressive collapse resistance of hotel San Diego," J. Structural Engineering, ASCE, 134(3), 2008, 478-488.
- M. Sasani, J. Kropelnicki, “Progressive Collapse Analysis of an RC Structure,” The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 17(4), 2008, 757-772.
- M. Sasani, M. Bazan, S. Sagiroglu, “Experimental and analytical progressive collapse evaluation of actual reinforced concrete structure,” Structural Journal, ACI, 104(6), 2007, 731-739.
- M. Sasani, “Life-safety and near-collapse capacity models for seismic shear behavior of RC columns,” Structural Journal, ACI, 104(1), 2007, 30-38.
- M. Sasani, N., Makris, B. A. Bolt, “Damping in shear beam structures and estimation of drift response,” Journal Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 132(8), 2006, 851-858.
- M. Sasani, A. Der-Kiureghian, V. V. Bertero, “Seismic fragility of short period reinforced concrete structural walls under near-source ground motions” Structural Safety, 24(4), 2002, 123-138.
- M. Sasani, E. P. Popov, “Seismic energy dissipators for RC panels: Analytical studies,” Journal Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 127(8), 2001, 835-843.
- M. Sasani, A. Der-Kiureghian “Seismic fragility of reinforced concrete structural walls: displacement approach,” Journal Structural Engineering, ASCE, 127(2), 2001, 219-228.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
CEE Associate Professor Mehrdad Sasani was named a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
An interdisciplinary team of Northeastern CEE professors and those from Tufts have received a $1.1M NSF grant to develop a decision and design framework for multi-hazard resilient and sustainable buildings.