COS/CEE Assistant Professor Samuel Munoz answers questions about the recent record-breaking flooding in the Midwest.
You are here
- PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2015
- S.E. Munoz, L. Giosan, M.D. Therrell, J.W. Remo, Z. Shen, R.M. Sullivan, J.P. Donnelly, Climatic Control of Mississippi River Flood Hazard Amplified by River Engineering, Nature, 556(7699), 2018, 95-98
- S.E. Munoz, S.G. Dee, El Niño Increases the Risk of Lower Mississippi River Flooding, Scientific Reports, 7, 2017, 1772
- J.R. Walsh, S.E. Munoz, M.J. Vander Zanden, Outbreak of an Undetected Invasive Species Triggered by a Climate Anomaly, Ecosphere, 7(12), 2016, 1-17
- S.E. Munoz, K. Gruley, A. Massie, D.A. Fike, S.S. Schroeder, J.W. Williams, Cahokia’s Emergence and Decline Coincided with Shifts of Flood Frequency on the Mississippi River, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112(20), 2015, 6319-6324
- V.C. Radeloff, J.W. Williams, B.L. Bateman, K.D. Burke, S.K. Carter, E.S. Childress, K.J. Cromwell, C. Gratton, A.O., Hasley, B.M. Kraemer, A.W. Latzka, E. Marin-Spiotta, C.D. Meine, S.E. Munoz, et al., The Rise of Novelty in Ecosystems, Ecological Applications, 25(8), 2015, 2051-2068
- S.E. Munoz, S. Schroeder, D.A. Fike, J.W. Williams, A Record of Sustained Prehistoric and Historic Land use from the Cahokia Region, Illinois, USA, Geology, 42(6), 2014, 499-502
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
Congratulations to the four COE teams out of eight total receiving 2018 Seed Grant funding from the Global Resilience Institute (GRI). The resilience project topics range from coastal flooding...
MES/CEE Assistant Professor Samuel Munoz will be leading a $595K NSF grant for "Extreme floods on the lower Mississippi River in the context of late Holocene climatic variability" in collaboration with Liviu Giosan and Jeffrey Donnelly from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and Zhixiong Shen from Coastal Carolina University.