CEE Professor Haris Koutsopoulos, in collaboration with MIT’s Transit Group, has received funding from international partner, Mass Transit Railway (Hong Kong), to study innovations in public transportation.
You are here
- PhD, Transportation Systems, MIT, 1986
- MS, Transportation, MIT, 1983
- B.Sc.Eng., National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 1980
- 2016 TRB Traffic Simulation Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2011 IEEE ITS Outstanding Application Award
- 2010 IBM Smarter Planet Award
- Technical Chamber of Greece
- Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- World Conference on Transport Research Society (WCTR)
- C. Viggiano, H.N. Koutsopoulos, N.H.M. Wilson, J. Attanucci, Journey-Based Characterization of Multi-Modal Public Transportation Networks, Public Transport Planning and Operations, 9(1-2), 2017, 437-461
- Y. Zhu, H.N. Koutsopoulos, N.H. Wilson, A Probabilistic Passenger-to-Train Assignment Model Based on Automated Data, Transportation Research B, 2017
- Z. Ma, S. Zhu, H.N. Koutsopoulos, L. Ferreira, Quantile Regression Analysis of Transit Travel Time Reliability Using Automatic Vehicle Location and Fare Card Data, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2017, 2652
- G.E. Sánchez-Martínez, N.H.M. Wilson, H.N. Koutsopoulos, Schedule-Free High-Frequency Transit Operations, Public Transport Planning and Operations, 9(1-2), 2017, 285-305
- E. Jenelius, H.N. Koutsopoulos, Urban Network Travel Time Prediction Based on a Probabilistic Principal Component Analysis Model of Probe Data, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2017
- Z. Ma, H.N. Koutsopoulos, L. Ferreira, M. Mesbah, Estimation of Trip Travel Time Distribution Using a Generalized Markov Chain Approach, Transportation Research Part C, 74, 2016, 1-21
- E. Jenelius, H.N. Koutsopoulos, Travel Time Estimation for Urban Road Networks Using Low Frequency Probe Vehicle Data, Transportation Research Part B, 53, 2013, 64-81 *list of most cited papers since 2012
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
Northeastern University is one of 18 “forward thinking and influential institutions” selected by the USDOT to focus on exploring the challenges facing land and transit systems in America’s Northeast.
CEE Professor Haris Koutsopoulos is using real-time factors such as weather and events to create predictive models for public transit.