COS/CEE Professor Mark Patterson, CEE/COS Assistant Professor Loretta Fernandez, and CEE affiliated Professor Brian Helmuth were awarded a $300K NSF grant for "Tide gate modulation of wetland function: decision support through engineering best practices".
You are here
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
- SM, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
- BS, Northeastern University, 2002
- BA, Tufts University, 1993
- Environmental Security Technology Certification Program (ESTCP) Project of the Year, Co-Performer (2011)
- National Research Council, Research Associateship (2010)
- National Science Foundation, Graduate Research Fellowship (2003-2006)
- American Chemical Society
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Tau Beta Pi
- M.M. Perron, R.M. Burgess, M.G. Cantwell, L. Fernandez, Evaluating Cost When Selecting Performance Reference Compounds for the Environmental Deployment of Polyethylene Passive Samplers, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 11(2), 2015, 256-265
- L. Fernandez, P.M. Gschwend, Predicting Bioaccumulation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Soft-shelled Clams (Mya arenaria) Using Field Deployments of Polyethylene Passive Samplers, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 34(5), 2015, 993-1000
- L. Fernandez, W. Lao, K. A. Maruya, R. M. Burgess, Calculating the Diffusive Flux of Persistent Organic Pollutants Between Sediments and the Water Column on the Palos Verdes Shelf Superfund Site Using Polymeric Passive Samplers, Environmental Science & Technology, 48, 2014, 3925-3924
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
Northeastern’s Chi Epsilon students participated in the annual CANstruction competition, a competition where students build large structures made entirely of canned goods.
Assistant Professor Loretta Fernandez, who holds a joint appointment in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Marine and Environmental Sciences, was featured in News@Northeastern for her research on water pollution testing.