Provost and MIE Professor James Bean (PI) and co-PI Professors Barbara Guthrie (Bouvé), Carla Mattos (COS), Hameed Metghalchi (MIE), and Benjamin Hescott (CCIS), along with collaborators Richard Harris, COE Assistant Dean and Director of the Northeastern University Program in Multicultural Engineering, and Sara Wadia-Fascetti, Vice Provost of the PhD Network and CEE Professor, were awarded a $1M NSF grant for the "Strategic Advancement of Rising Scholars (STARS) Nominated by the Northeast Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (NE-LSAMP)."
You are here
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 1994
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 1991
- B.S., Civil Engineering (double major in Engineering & Public Policy), Carnegie Mellon University, 1990
- 2004 - 2008 Distinguished Research Fellow, Northeastern University
- 2006 Sharon Keillor Award for Women in Engineering Education
- 2005 Progress in Equity Award, a national award granted to the CONNECTIONS program by the American Association of University Women
- 2004 Massachusetts Progress in Equity Award awarded to CONNECTIONS by the Massachusetts chapter of the American Association of University Women
- 2002 Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring selected by President Bush and awarded at the White House March 18, 2003
- 2002 Minorities in Engineering Award for leadership related to the recruitment and retention of women in engineering, American Society of Engineering Education National Award
- 2002 President's Aspiration Award from Northeastern President Freeland for leadership related to Northeastern University aspirations to become a national research student-centered urban university
- 1997 CAREER Development Award, National Science Foundation
- 1997 Civil Engineering Professor of the Year, Northeastern University Chi Epsilon Chapter
- Advanced Structural Analysis
- Strength of Materials and Structural Analysis
- Structural Analysis II
- Steel Design
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Society of Engineering Education
- Boston Society of Civil Engineers
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
- Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation
- Society of Women Engineers
- Transportation Research Board Affiliate
- Women's Engineering Leadership Institute
- D. Vine, S. Shahini Shamsabadi, Y. Zhao, R. Birken, M. Wang, S. Wadia, City-Wide Application of the Affordable and Rapid StreetScan Pavement Management System, ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 2017
- A. Ganguli, C.M. Rappaport, D. Abramo, S. Wadia-Fascetti, Synthetic Aperture Imaging for Flaw Detection in a Concrete Medium, NDT & E International, 45(1), 2012, 79-90
- K. Belli, S. Wadia-Fascetti, C. Rappaport, Integrated Sensor and Media Modeling Environment Developed and Applied to Ground-Penetrating Radar Investigation of Bridge Decks, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 25(1), 2011, 10-20
- K. Belli, C. Rappaport, S. Wadia-Fascetti, A Time Domain Equivalent Source Model of an Impulse GPR Antenna Based on Measured Radiation Field, Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, 22(4), 2011, 197-207
Dr. Sara Wadia-Fascetti is a Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northeastern University where she has been on the faculty since 1994. She performs research in the use of nondestructive sensing technologies for condition assessment and diagnostics on structural systems and is engaged in research through the NSF-funded Gordon Center for Subsurface Sensing and Imaging Systems (CenSSIS). Current and past research related to condition assessment of structures includes finite element model updating in the presence of errors, development of data quality indices, use of fuzzy mathematics to quantify the uncertainty in earthquake ground motion, bridge performance assessment for bridge management systems, and subsurface sensing and imaging of civil engineering materials. She directs the NSF funded Interdisciplinary Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) site for Intelligent Diagnostics for Aging Civil Infrastructure.
In addition to her faculty role, Dr. Wadia-Fascetti also has administrative responsibilities at the College and University levels as Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies, Special Assistant to the Provost for Faculty Development and Director of ADVANCE. Dr. Wadia-Fascetti served as Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement (2005 - 2008) where she was responsible for university-wide faculty development activities and initiatives. One outcome from this effort is the National Science Foundation funded ADVANCE Institutional Transformation program at Northeastern University. She created and led the development and institutionalization of a major College of Engineering initiative, the NSF-funded Connections project, to strengthen the pathways to engineering and science careers for women and girls. She continues in an advisory role to Connections, now housed within the College of Engineering Dean's Office. Connections has received recognition from a number of organizations including the American Association of University Women (nationally in 2005; MA chapter in 2004) and the American Association of Engineering Education (2002).
She received her MS and PhD degrees in Structural Engineering from Stanford University and a BS in Civil Engineering with a double major in Engineering and Public Policy from Carnegie Mellon. She is recognized by Northeastern University as a Distinguished Research Fellow and in 2002 received a Presidential Aspiration Award from Northeastern University President Freeland. At the national level she received an NSF Career Award (1997), American Society of Engineering Education Minorities in Education Award (2002), American Society of Engineering Education Sharon Keillor Woman in Engineering Education Award (2006) for distinction in teaching, research, and administrative leadership, and in 2003 she was recognized at the White House with a 2002 Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Mentoring.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
Honors & Awards
Sara Wadia-Fascetti has been named as vice provost for the new PhD Network which will focus on building a sense of community among doctoral students and providing opportunities that will enhance...
Northeastern University is one of 18 “forward thinking and influential institutions” selected by the USDOT to focus on exploring the challenges facing land and transit systems in America’s Northeast.