CEE Assistant Professor Hao Sun was featured in The Los Angeles Post article " 2019 Top 10 Outstanding Chinese American Youth name list unveiled ."...
You are here
- Postdoc, Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 2017
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2014
- M.Phil., Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2013
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2011
- B.S.E., Civil Engineering, Hohai University, Nanjing, China, 2010
- Top 10 Outstanding Chinese America Youth, All America Chinese Youth Federation & Los Angeles Post, 2019
- Forbes 30 Under 30: Science, Forbes Magazine, 2018
- Hewlett International Grant Award, University of Pittsburgh, 2017
- Travel Award, The 13th U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, 2015
- Second Place and Runner Up Award, The 2014 EMI Conference Student Poster Competition, 2014
- Boeing Fellowship, 2012
- Citation for Outstanding College Graduate, China Civil Engineering Society, 2010
- China National Merit Scholarship, 2007
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honor Society, Member
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Associate Member
- United States Association for Computational Mechanics (USACM)
- Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI)
- International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE)
- International Society for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (ISSMO)
- R. Zhang, Z. Chen, J. Zheng, O. Buyukozturk, H. Sun. Deep long short-term memory networks for nonlinear structural response prediction. Computers & Structures 2019, accepted & in press.
- H. Sun, J. Al-Qazweeni, J. Parol, H. Kamal, Z. Chen and O. Buyukozturk. Computational modeling of a unique tower in Kuwait for structural health monitoring: numerical investigations. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2019, 26(3): e2317.
- J. G. Chen, Travis M. Adams, H. Sun, Erin S. Bell and O. Buyukozturk. Camera-based vibration measurement of the Portsmouth, NH WWI Memorial Bridge. Journal of Structural Engineering - ASCE 2018, 144(11): 04018207.
- H. Sun, O. Buyukozturk. The MIT Green Building benchmark problem for structural health monitoring of tall buildings. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2018, 25(3): e2115.
- A. Mordret, H. Sun, G. A. Prieto, N. Toksoz and O. Buyukozturk. Continuous monitoring of high-rise buildings using seismic interferometry. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 2017, 107(6): 2759-2773.
- H. Sun, A. Mordret, G. A. Prieto, N. Toksoz and O. Buyukozturk. Bayesian characterization of buildings using seismic interferometry on ambient vibrations. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2017, 85: 468-486. Media coverage: MIT News, Science Daily, Fox News, ASCE Civil Engineering Magazine, Yahoo! News, India TV News, The Economic Times Science, Popular Mechanics, and other >40 social media.
- G. Yan, H. Sun, O. Buyukozturk. Impact load identification for composite structures using Bayesian regularization and unscented Kalman filter. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2017, 24(5): e1910.
- H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk. Probabilistic updating of building models using incomplete modal data. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2016, 75(0): 27-40.
- H. Sun, H. Waisman and R. Betti. A sweeping window method for detection of flaws using an explicit dynamic XFEM and absorbing boundary layers. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2016, 105 (13): 1014-1040.
- H. Sun and R. Betti. A hybrid optimization algorithm with Bayesian inference for probabilistic model updating. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2015, 30(8): 602-619. Highlight: Featured as one of the Most Cited Articles published in the journal from 2015-2016; Selected as the ESI Highly Cited Paper, as of March/April 2017, by Web of Science.
- D. Feng, H. Sun and M.Q. Feng. Simultaneous identification of bridge structural parameters and vehicle loads. Computers & Structures 2015, 157(0): 76-88.
- H. Sun and O. Buyukozturk. Optimal sensor placement in structural health monitoring using discrete optimization. Smart Materials and Structures 2015, 24(12): 125034.
- H. Sun, D. Feng, Y. Liu and M.Q. Feng. Statistical regularization for identification of structural parameters and external loadings using state space models. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2015, 30(11): 843-858.
- H. Sun, O. Buyukozturk. Identification of traffic-induced nodal excitations of truss bridges through heterogeneous data fusion. Smart Materials and Structures 2015, 24(7): 075032.
- G. Yan, H. Sun and H. Waisman. A guided Bayesian inference approach for detection of multiple flaws in structures using the extended finite element method. Computers & Structures 2015, 152(0): 27-44.
- H. Sun and R. Betti. Simultaneous identification of structural parameters and dynamic input with incomplete output-only measurements. Structural Control and Health Monitoring 2014, 21(6): 868-889.
- H. Sun, H. Waisman and R. Betti. A multiscale aw detection algorithm based on XFEM. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2014, 100(7): 477-503.
- H. Sun, H. Waisman, R. Betti. Nondestructive identification of multiple flaws using XFEM and a topologically adapting artificial bee colony algorithm. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2013, 95(10): 871-900.
- H. Sun, H. Lus and R. Betti. Identification of structural models using a modified artificial bee colony algorithm. Computers & Structures 2013, 116(0): 59-74. Highlight: Featured as one of the Most Cited Articles published in the journal since 2012.
- H. Zhang, H. Sun, L. Liu and M. Dong. Resonance mechanism of wind-induced isolated aqueduct-water coupling system. Engineering Structures 2013, 57(0): 73-86.
- H. Zhang, L. Liu, M. Dong and H. Sun. Analysis of wind-induced vibration of fluid-structure interaction system for isolated aqueduct bridge. Engineering Structures 2013, 46(0): 28-37.
Dr. Hao Sun joined the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) at Northeastern University as an Assistant Professor in July 2018. He obtained his Ph.D., M.Phil. and M.S. degrees from Columbia University, and received his B.S. degree from Hohai University, Nanjing, China. Prior to joining Northeastern, he was an Assistant Professor (2017-2018) at the University of Pittsburgh and a Postdoc Associate (2014-2017) at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is now also a Research Affiliate at MIT. His research focuses on the advancement of scientific knowledge and the development of innovative sensing and data analytics to tackle built environment issues, specifically to address the resilience, sustainability, and safety issues of civil infrastructure systems. His specific interests include smart and resilient infrastructure; advanced sensing, big data analytics, machine learning, uncertainty quantification and inverse computational mechanics, for structural health monitoring and resilience assessment; physics-informed AI for engineering applications. Dr. Sun has co-authored over 20 peer-reviewed journal publications, and his work has been widely reported in various media coverages over 40 times, including MIT News, Fox News, ASCE Civil Engineering Magazine, Science Daily, etc. He is the receipt of multiple awards, including the prestigious 2018 Forbes “30 Under 30”: Science, the 2017 Hewlett International Grant Award, two poster awards from EMI 2014, Boeing Fellowship, NSF workshop travel award, China National Scholarship, and many others. Dr. Sun serves on the editorial board of PLOS ONE.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
Honors & Awards
25 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY20 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 18 different projects representing up to $900K dollars of investment in research.
Hao Sun joins the Civil and Environmental Engineering department in July 2018 as an Assistant Professor.