April Z. Gu
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
471 Snell Engineering Center
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
Tel: (617) 373 - 3631
Fax: (617) 373 - 4419
COE Research Website
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Washington, 2003
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northeastern University, 1997
- B.S., Environmental Engineering and Science, TsingHua University, 1993
- Application of biotechnology for water quality improvement
- Biological treatment processes and bioremediation
- Ecotoxicology and toxicity assessment
- Biosensors for water quality monitoring
Honors and Awards:
- 2012 Excellence in Review Award, Environmental Science & Technology
- 2011 Early Career Development Award, College of Engineering, Northeastern University
- 2011 Soren Buus Outstanding Research Award, College of Engineering, Northeastern University
- 2010 Featured ES&T paper by ACS Chemical and Engineering News
- 2010 Certificate of Merit for Presentation at ACS 240th National Meeting-ENVR
- 2010 Best student presentation award (Carla Cherchi), ACS 240th National Meeting-ENVR
- 2010 North American SETAC Endowment Travel Award
- 2009 NSF Faculty Early CAREER Development Award
- 2005 Pathfinder Award for Creativity, HDR Engineering Inc.
- Cherchi, C. and Gu, A.Z. (2010). "Impact of Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials on Nitrogen Fixation Rate and Intracellular Nitrogen Storage in Anabaena variabilis", Environmental Science & Technology.
- Gou, N., Onnis-Hayden, A., and Gu, A.Z. (2010). "Mechanistic Toxicity Assessment of Nanomaterials by Whole-Cell-Array Stress Genes Expression Analysis" Environmental Science & Technology, 44(15), 5964-5970.
- Li D., Gu A.Z., Yang W., He M. Hu X., and Shi H.C. (2010). "An integrated cell culture and reverse transcription quantitative PCR assay for detection of infectious rotaviruses in environmental waters." Journal of Microbiological Methods, 82(1), 59-63.
- McMahon, K.D., Gu, A.Z., Nerenberg, R., and Sturm, B.M. (2009). "Molecular Methods in Biological Systems", Water Environment Research, 81(10), 986-1002.
- Majed, N., Matthäus, C., Deim, M., and Gu, A.Z. (2009). "Evaluation of Intracellular Polyphosphate Dynamics in Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal Process using Raman Microscopy", Environ. Sci. Technol, 43(13), 5436-5442.
- American Chemistry Society
- American Society for Engineering Education
- American Society of Microbiology
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- Water Environment Federation