Loretta A. Fernandez
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and
Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences
Marine Science Center
473 Snell Engineering Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Tel: (617) 373 - 5461
Fax: (617) 373 - 4419
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010
- S.M., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
- B.S., Northeastern University, 2002
- B.A., Tufts University, 1993
- Environmental organic chemistry
- Passive sampling methods for organic contaminants in water and sediments
- Transport, transformation, and biological exchange of organic contaminants in the environment
Honors and Awards:
- Environmental Security Technology Certification Program (ESTCP) Project of the Year, Co-Performer (2011)
- National Research Council, Research Associateship (2010)
- National Science Foundation, Graduate Research Fellowship (2003-2006)
- Fernandez, L. A., Lau, W., Maruya, K. A., White, C., and Burgess, R. M. Passive sampling to measure baseline dissolved persistent organic pollutant concentrations in the water column of the Palos Verdes Shelf Superfund site. Environmental Science & Technology 2012, 46, 11937-11947.
- Fernandez, L. A., Harvey, C. F. and Gschwend, P. M. Using performance reference compounds in polyethylene passive samplers to deduce sediment porewater concentrations for numerous target chemicals. Environmental Science & Technology 2009, 43, 8888-8894.
- Fernandez, L. A., MacFarlane, J. K., Tcaciuc, A. P. and Gschwend, P. M. Measurement of Freely Dissolved PAH Concentrations in Sediment Beds Using Passive Sampling with Low-Density Polyethylene Strips. Environmental Science & Technology 2009, 43, 1430-1436.
- Adams, R. G., Lohmann, R., Fernandez, L. A., MacFarlane, J. K. and Gschwend, P. M. Polyethylene devices: Passive samplers for measuring dissolved hydrophobic organic compounds in aquatic environments. Environmental Science & Technology 2007, 41, 1317-1323.
- Sheahan, T. C., A.N. Alshawabkeh, L.A. Fernandez and K.S. Henry (2003). "A Reactive Geocomposite to Remediate Contaminated, Subaqueous Sediments," Contaminated Sediments: Characterization, Evaluation, Mitigation/Restoration, and Management Strategy Performance, ASTM STP 1442, J. Locat, R. Galvez-Cloutier, R. C. Chaney and K. Demars, eds., ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, pp. 236-250.
- American Chemical Society
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Tau Beta Pi