Matthew J. Eckelman
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
425 Snell Engineering Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Tel: (617) 373 - 4256
Fax: (617) 373 - 4419
COE Research Website
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2009
- M.S., M.Phil., Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2006
- B.A., Physics and Mathematics, Amherst College, 2000
- Environmental impacts of metals production, use, emissions, and recovery
- Life cycle assessment of products and services
- Systems modeling of bioenergy and bio-based industrial chemicals
- Material and energy use in urban environments and civil infrastructure
Honors and Awards:
- 2012 Anesthesia & Analgesia paper selected for Continuing Medical Education program
- 2008-2010 Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Fellow, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- 2009 Project Award, Air & Waste Management Association
- 2007 ES&T paper featured in ACS Chemical & Engineering News
- 2007 NSF EAPSI Fellow, Japan
- 2007 World Fellow, Coca-Cola Foundation
- 2007 ES&T paper featured in Science magazine literature highlights
- Eckelman, M.J., Mauter, M.S., Isaacs, J.A., Elimelech, M. (2012). "New perspectives on nanomaterial aquatic ecotoxicity: Production impacts exceed direct exposure impacts for carbon nanotubes", Environmental Science & Technology 46, 2902-2910.
- Quale, J., Eckelman, M.J., Williams, K.W., Sloditskie, G., Zimmerman, J.B. (2012). "Construction matters: Comparing environmental impacts of building modular and conventional homes in the United States", Journal of Industrial Ecology 16(2), 243-253.
- Brentner, L.B., Eckelman, M.J., Zimmerman, J.B. (2011). "Life cycle assessment of algal biodiesel: a model to guide process design for industrial production", Environmental Science & Technology 45(16), 7060-7067.
- Eckelman, M.J. and Chertow, M.R. (2009). "Quantifying life cycle environmental benefits from the reuse of industrial materials in Pennsylvania", Environmental Science & Technology 43(7) 2550-2556.
- Eckelman, M.J., Anastas, P.T., Zimmerman, J.B. (2008). "Spatial assessment of net mercury emissions from the use of fluorescent bulbs", Environmental Science & Technology 42(22) 8564-8570.
- American Center for Life Cycle Assessment
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- International Society for Industrial Ecology