Dionisio P. Bernal
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
427 Snell Engineering Center
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Tel: (617) 373 - 4417
Fax: (617) 373 - 4419
COE Research Website
Structural Health Monitoring Website
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1979
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1976
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1975
- Extraction of information on physical parameters from system identification results
- Damage localization using flexibility based procedures
- Damage localization in output-only systems
- Identification of the excitation
- Transmissibility in damage detection applications
- Instability of torsionally eccentric buildings subjected to large earthquakes
- Hybrid methods in the analysis of nonlinear soil-structure interaction
- Sequential collapse
Honors and Awards:
- 2004 Martin W. Essigmann Award for Teaching Excellence, Northeastern University, Boston MA
- 1998 Honorary Distinguished Professor, Institute of Technology of Santo Domingo
- 1993 Moisseiff Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers for the paper "Instability of Buildings Subjected to Earthquakes," Journal of Structural Engineering, 118(8), 2239-2260.
- 1989 Hayes Engineering Award for excellence in research, Northeastern University
- Bernal, D. (2010). "The zero-order hold in time domain identification: An unnecessary operating premise", Structural Control and Health Monitoring.
- Bernal, D. (2010). "Load Vectors for Damage Location in Systems Identified from Operational Loads", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 136(1), 31-39.
- Bernal, D. (2009). "Damage Localization from Transmission Zeros of Delta Systems", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 135(2), 93-99.
- Hernandez, E. and Bernal, D. (2008). "State Estimation in Structural Systems with Model Uncertainties," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 134(3), 252-257.
- Bernal, D. (2007). "Optimal Discrete to Continuous Transfer for Band Limited Inputs", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 133(12), 1370-1377.
- Member of American Society of Civil Engineers