As a leader in civil engineering research and education, our mission is to prepare undergraduate and graduate engineers to excel in their chosen careers, including civil engineering practice; academia; infrastructure management, land use planning and development; public sector leadership; and a wide range of other careers chosen by our diverse student body.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northeastern University offers you a strong background in design and practice of engineering supported by our core technical areas including construction management, environmental engineering, geotechnical/geoenvironmental engineering, structural engineering, and transportation engineering, that you may choose to focus your studies and deepen your area(s) of interest. We offer significant research opportunities throughout all fields of civil and environmental engineering, including participating in research centers based in our department and college, as well as new interdisciplinary graduate and professional masters programs.
We are excited about the future of our profession, our department, and our university. Civil and Environmental Engineering plays a vital role in human progress and quality of life in the U.S. and around the world, and we offer outstanding opportunities to study in Boston, Massachusetts, a vibrant intellectual community by the sea, and home to the Big Dig, a landmark civil engineering achievement.
Our department’s strategic focus on urban engineering prepares future engineers for many of the greatest challenges of our time. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northeastern University has a range of teaching and research strengths, anchored by several multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional centers and programs that are core to the activities of the department. Building on current strengths and expanding into new and vital areas, three overarching themes are identified, including Environmental Health, Civil Infrastructure Security, and Sustainable Resource Engineering. We have four premier departmental strengths in Simulation (both computational and experimental), Smart Sensing, and Data and Network Science, and Urban Informatics.
OUR DEPARTMENT AT A GLANCE
- BS in Civil Engineering
- BS in Environmental Engineering
- BS/MS in Civil Engineering
- BS/MS Engineering Management
- BS/MS Sustainable Building Systems
- MS in Civil Engineering
- MS Engineering and Public Policy
- MS Environmental Engineering
- MS in Sustainable Building Systems
- PhD in Civil Engineering
Research centers housed within the department:
- Versatile Onboard Traffic Embedded Roaming Sensors (VOTERS). An $18M center funded by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and industry partners that is developing new sensor technologies and health monitoring strategies to provide a continuous stream of accurate, up-to-date information about the state of roadways and bridge decks gathered by sensors mounted on vehicles.
- The Puerto Rico Testsite for Exploring Contamination Threats (PROTECT). A $23M program funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH) through the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) Superfund Research Program that is reducing exposure to environmental contamination and reducing the preterm birth rate in Puerto Rico and beyond.
I invite you to contact us, to explore our website, and to learn more about our programs, our faculty, our research, our student chapters, and the integrated living/learning opportunities at Northeastern University.